I’ll admit that I am not a fan of Twitter. I don’t tweet and I have no plans to do it. Honestly, I suspect that for 98% of those tweeting it is an egotistical waste of time. (Sorry to my readers and friends who tweet! I’m sure you’re all in the other 2% :))
Yet, there can be something good about taking a Bible chapter a day and being forced to summarize its point in 140 characters or less. This is what Chris Juby will do over the next 3 1/2 years. He tweeted Genesis 11 today. Regarding the difficulty of summarizing the text he says this:
Will I really be able to do justice to all 176 verses of Psalm 119 in 140 characters? Probably not. But the challenge of being so brief will force me to engage with the text and understand the key themes. And that’s partly the point in the first place – I want to be an active rather than a passive reader of Scripture!
Amen to that!